Are you planning on getting a puppy or adopt a new dog for the family? This is an extremely exciting moment, though you have to make sure that you don’t make this decision unprepared. You have to think ahead and prepare for getting a puppy, even before the day comes.
It isn’t just about getting pet toys from stores like Peggasus Pets, but what to consider and how to plan ahead when you welcome the new addition to the family. Here is a helpful checklist for you to think about when preparing for your new dog.
Before Getting a Puppy
Here are what you should consider before even deciding to have a dog or puppy:
- The cost: You need to have everything budgeted so you can afford all of the expenses that are associated with getting a new pet. Consider the vet bills, pet insurance, food, among other ongoing expenses.
- The lifestyle: Does your work schedule permit you to have enough time for a pet? If they are young, the more time they will need for training, love, and giving them attention.
- Your house: Does your home have enough space? Does it have a garden or is it near a dog park for exercise?
- The vets: Make sure that there are reputable veterinarians nearby so you can register your new pet and take care of any emergencies.
- Research: You also have to look into what breed of dog you plan to get. Different breeds have different temperaments, so research for dog breeds thoroughly and choose one meant for your home and lifestyle. It’s also important to search for where you plan to adopt or purchase the new pet from, too.
Preparing for a Puppy
Once you’re already decided on getting a puppy or dog and have already thought of the important things to consider, the next thing to do is invest in supplies!
Here are the supplies your new addition to the family will need:
- Crate and dog bed with blankets
- Food and water bowls or dispenser
- The right puppy or dog food appropriate for their size and age
- Collar and tag
- Harness and leash
- Car restraint and a car seat
- Dog toys
- Puppy pads to help with toilet training
- Poop bags for accidents while walking
- Grooming essentials like dog shampoo, dog brush or comb, and toothpaste and toothbrush (all should be made for dogs!)
There are also other things you should plan on sorting out as you prepare for the arrival of your new puppy or dog:
- Sort out and fix your new pet’s sleeping area. For puppies, you can prepare their crate to provide them a secure base
- Prepare an area where your pet will eat in
- Consider placing baby gates in case there are restricted areas you don’t want your pet to get into
- Puppy proof the house for their safety
Wrapping It Up
Hopefully, this article gave you an idea of how you can prepare for your new puppy or dog! Keep these tips in mind as you get ready for the new and exciting change in the household now.